2013/12/18

TMNT Roundtable Interview: City Fall Aftermath

After close to 8 months, the biggest arc in IDW TMNT history has come to an end. There were ups and downs but the overall consensus is that City Fall was a smash hit. Before jumping into the next story arc, Northampton, where the Turtles will be resting and regrouping, let's take a moment to digest what we have just experienced and break down this monumental event.



What better location to get together with the creators involved in this arc than at the Skara Brae, a fictional bar in IDW TMNT's Brooklyn, NY. A word of warning, this interview contains some spoilers for City Fall and the arcs that follow it, so *** SPOILER ALERT *** to everyone who wanted to read these issues first.

The first to arrive are Erik Burnham and Dan Duncan. They are quick to order their beers and head off to a dark corner, close to the fire escape (you have to keep your back to the wall, an eye on the door and have the illusion of safety when you're in a dive bar like this). I quickly join them and wait for the rest to arrive. Bobby Curnow, Mateus Santolouco and Ronda Pattison are next, followed by Ross Campbell and Andy Kuhn.

I decide to start things off by asking Bobby Curnow, TMNT editor at IDW, "What contribution on your part are you the most proud of?" Bobby replies, "A lot of the core ideas of City Fall are a combo from Tom and me, so I'm proud of that, as a general whole. From an editorial/logistical standpoint, tying in the micros and getting it all out on time is what I'm most proud of."



I then turn to Ross Campbell, the artist on Brian Lynch's Alopex micro-series issue, and ask, "What did you think of City Fall and the character development that came along with it?" Ross answers with his ginger ale in hand, "I thought City Fall was awesome! I think my favorite story arc is still TMNT #13-16 Sins of the Fathers, but I'd say City Fall is in the second spot, especially when you read the micros with it. [Speaking of micros], I wish IDW would release the City Fall collected books with the micro issues included in chronological order, you almost can't read City Fall by itself without them (especially the Alopex, Karai, Hun, and Bebop & Rocksteady ones). I love where all the characters went: I love the Dark Leo stuff so much, I love everything with Old Hob, he is the best, and I like all the different story threads weaving together and how Tom is moving the characters around and playing them off each other. I'm really interested in Kitsune and what she's up to; I wish she got a Villain micro! I also wish there'd been a Dark Leo micro, it would've fit great with the Villain issues and given Leo a good spotlight since the main series was so packed with stuff; that would've been super cool. And Mateus of course killed it, he's so good, his layouts and action scenes blow me away. His art gives the series a really great tone."



Dan Duncan, the artist for the first year of the current ongoing series, came back to do the art on Paul Allor's Shredder Villain micro. "Dan, I'll ask you the same question, what did you think of City Fall and the character development?" Dan, halfway done his Guinness, replies, "I am LOVING TMNT lately!! Thank you for asking! Tom and Mateus have been doing just stellar work! The story line has been so interesting and fun that I've been beside myself. Splinter and the Turtles working with Hob, introducing Bebop & Rocksteady, the relationship between Casey and his dad, and especially the growth in the Turtles themselves has been so much fun to follow. And Dark Leo looks so rad I can't stand it!"

Ronda Pattison, the ongoing colourist, with a vodka and 7-up in hand says, “I have been following along with City Fall, though the way I experience a story is probably quite different than most readers. I sit down with the script and pages in front of me for days as I work on the colors, and since I'm so focussed page by page, issue by issue, it's sometimes hard for me to see the big picture! My favourite part of the process is when I get the lettered PDF before printing and I see it all come together. Then I can relax knowing the deadline has been met, and just read and enjoy the story. I like City Fall because I enjoy stories that are smaller, more personal and character driven. Not that a story involving city-wide gang war is small exactly, but it is at it's heart about family, love, loyalty, and very personal vendettas. These are things we all understand and can relate to, and that appeals to me.”

Andy Kuhn, the artist on Erik Burnham's Baxter Stockman micro-series issue, sits back down at the table with a Black & Tan and adds, "I really liked City Fall a lot. It's an ambitious sprawling epic with a ton of really cool moments. My favorite bits were the revelation of Leo as Shredder's second in command, and bringing back Bebop & Rocksteady. However, my absolute favorite part of City Fall was Mateus Santolouco's artwork. That guy is just an amazingly talented artist and I'll gladly shell out money for anything he draws."



Mateus Santolouco, who is penciled in to be the main artist on the TMNT ongoing until issue 50, sips his Jim Beam bourbon and remarks, "Overall City Fall is an important mark on this whole ongoing series. The plot not only ties pretty much everything that had been built since the very first issues but also sets all characters in their new positions to what is being planned for the future of the title. Although together all players are walking their own personal path and most of them if not all reach the next step on this story arc that will define how their dynamic will function and what is their roles on the following issues. It's amazing stuff and Tom, Kevin and Bobby have done an amazing job!"

Erik Burnham, the author of both the Baxter and Karai Villain micros, adds, "I thought the City Fall arc was brilliant. It really raised the emotional stakes for everyone, which can be as (or more) powerful than the heroes simply prevailing or surviving. This will give every character something to think about going forward, which is great. And Mateus, well, as ever, wow. Beautiful art. Tom, Kevin, Bobby, and all the artistic collaborators are really firing on all cylinders, finding great stuff from every iteration of the franchise to use for the story they're telling. It all fits seamlessly."



I then ask Bobby, "What part of City Fall was the most difficult to get through creatively?" Bobby replies, "Figuring out and executing issue #23, with the different artists and Casey/Leo parallels, was probably the most difficult thing. Well, actually getting #28 to print was the most difficult thing, but that's not really creative, and besides fretting constantly and bringing in some coloring help, there wasn't much I could personally do there."

Issue #23 was an amazing work of art. If you missed it, it was mainly drawn by Mateus Santolouco, with 2 page spreads from most of the past artists including Dan Duncan, Ross Campbell, Andy Kuhn, Ben Bates, and Kevin Eastman. Not only that, Mateus' pages were mostly split between Casey Jones and Leonardo's parallel events. It was an impressive feat to accomplish and everyone involved should feel very proud.

Since City Fall is now over and done with, I asked the group, "What are you most excited about / looking forward to in the years to come?" Mateus answers, "Since before I started to actually draw the first issue I was looking forward for two things: Dark Leo and Bebop & Rocksteady. I had plenty of Dark Leo during the run but I can't wait to have another shot with B&R."

Erik says, "I know a few things about where Tom would LIKE to go -- some of these things conflict with each other! Can't wait to see what he picks and how he'll build on it, and I hope I get a chance to play in the sandbox again!"

Ronda adds, "I love being a part of TMNT, being a part of such a huge pop culture phenomenon that means so much to so many people.  I think the writers are doing a great job, and I especially love the dialogue and the way the characters interact with each other. It feels very real to me, and considering we're talking about mutant turtles, that's damned impressive. I also enjoy the challenge of working with each new artist, and doing my best to adapt to their individual styles while still keeping a cohesive look to the whole series. Northampton is off to a great start, full of character development, and just like the rest of the fans, I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out!"



Dan replies, "Honestly, while I'm very happy to be a fan of the book now, the only feelings I have that aren't overwhelmingly positive, are those of jealously haha! And as for the future, I'm excited there too because I'm a huge fan of Ross Campbell's work and can't wait to pick up his run!!"

Ross, beside himself, replies, "Oh wow, that is such an honor! That is so cool Dan. Thank you so much and I hope [you aren't] disappointed by my Northampton work. Maybe I'm biased but I'm most excited for the Northampton stuff right now [as well], and not just because I'm drawing it but because the farmhouse has always been one of my favorite TMNT things. More than anything I love the Turtles moping around in the woods! All the Dark Leo fall-out is THE BEST, too, I'm having so much fun working on it and it's just perfect. AND Northampton also has the new mutant I got to design from the ground up, so I'm super excited about that."

Bobby states, "Right now we're solidifying plans for the story arc post-Northampton. Some very fun stuff, with some new characters, coming up. Very psyched for that."



Andy adds, "What I'm most looking forward to right now is the release of Utrom Empire #1. Utrom Empire is the TMNT mini-series that I'm currently drawing. It's written by Paul Allor, and colored by Bill Crabtree, and they are both doing spectacular work. It fills in a lot of Krang's history, and it's been an utter blast to draw so far."

As for myself, I am really looking forward to the Northampton arc. Northampton is one of the most iconic stories in TMNT lore, being referenced in most iterations of the franchise. The most memorable of which were Mirage Vol 1 issue 11 and the first live action movie. After reading the first issue at the farmhouse, Tom, Kevin, Bobby, and Ross do not disappoint.

Before we go, I thank everyone who came out to the Skara Brae tonight. It is always fun to know that the guest writers and artists are following the product and love what they do.

As we are leaving, I bump into Joshua Williamson and Mike Henderson, the author and artist of the Krang Villain micro. Mike, with a cheap irish whisky in hand, says, "I've been working on a new title and don't usually read anything new while I am, so I'm woefully behind on City Fall. I have to say, though I'm thrilled with the direction the villains are taking (and not just because I've worked on them). I think it rounds out the entire TMNT world in a way that hasn't been explored before. After the success of the villains micro-series, I'd love to see some of those titles continue independently." Joshua mentions, "I love the Turtles and what IDW has been doing with them, especially the hardcover color collections of the original series, I don't know much about what's going on past what I see on all the awesome covers. [It is not City Fall related, but] I just wanted to see Krang ride a lizard!"

And on that note, as we prepare for the Utrom Empire mini-series I will leave you with just that, Mike Henderson's interpretation of Joshua Williamson's vision of Krang riding a lizard.