2013/04/24

The Creep, by John Arcudi & Jonathan Case

I loved this book. I am reading more and more crime books and The Creep adds the element of a surprise reveal at the end of the book that will leave you crapping your pants!



Writer: John Arcudi


Artist: Jonathan Case


Publisher: Dark Horse


Age: 16 +


The book opens with a shocking teen suicide. The police dismiss it as such but his mother will not let go so easily. Two months earlier, her son's best friend killed himself as well. Having run out if options, she decides to seek out an old flame who she believes to be a detective. Oxel, a private detective, can't let this case go as it begins to suck him in more and more with every uncovered stone. Since the last the last time they saw each other over 20 years ago, he has developed acromegaly, a physical deformity that has left his face severely deformed in his middle age. Oxel does not let this get in his way as he continues his search for answers, discovering that the boy spent a lot of time with his grandfather. Subsequently, the boy’s grandfather goes missing and Oxel decides to gets on a bus and begins a manhunt for what will eventually lead him to the answers he seeks, and some which he will never forget.


I am being purposefully vague because I really don't want to give anything away. This book is so good and you'll just have to trust me when I say you need to pick it up if you are into crime books, or even just enjoy reveals that you truly will not see coming. The Creep came to my attention while listening to the NonCanonical Podcast and the review was simply, “the reveal at the end will leave you crapping your pants!” How can you not pick this book up after that kind of review?! Believe me, that statement is completely accurate.



Since I don't want to spoil the story, I'll go on about how great the art is; because saying it's amazing would not be giving too much away. There are two distinct styles and color pallets used throughout the book to denote the past and the present. Flashbacks and hallucinations are done in a more sketchy styles with a vivid color pallets while the ongoing narrative is done in a more carefully drawn style with a muted color tone. While I enjoyed the mix of both styles and did find that they were used appropriately, I did prefer the style that was used predominantly throughout the book with its very careful use of color and shades.



The trade collects issues 0 through 4 and was released in April 2013. Issue 0 sets up so much context in this series that I would have been so confused had I picked this series up at issue 1. From the writer of B.P.R.D. and the artist of Green River Killer, John Arcudi and Jonathan Case bring you a book that is a must read.